Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Goodbye Mazunte

Today I'm leaving Mazunte after 3 months of staying here. It's been the place I've stayed longest during the last years and, truth be said, it's not because it has been one of my favorites, but because I was tired of traveling and wanted a good rest near a nice beach.
A visitor to the family house


While detail-wise it seemed like it could have been the perfect place (beautiful beach, chilled vibe, good combination of tourism and long term denizens, music shows and parties almost every night), different places interact differently with different people at different times. While the mosquitoes, the flies, the uncleanliness of the family house where I lived in and the lack of proper Internet are all things that I could manage well, the fact I haven't met enough people with whom I felt I could communicate on a deeper level was more disappointing. The parties have mostly had Cumbia music, which I've come to extremely dislike after being brainwashed with it over n over here. Gutting different fish and shark catch on the beach and throwing their smelly content back into the water didn't make me feel better swimming in them, neither as a vegan or a person with a functioning sense of smell. Add some water cuts, Internet cuts, toxic smoke from burning trash and you'll see this piece of paradise won't be the first place to which I'll go back to. It's definitely not a bad place, just wasn't a very good one for me.
Selfie became one of the top words of 2013...
Now let's go for the good things as without them I'd have left long ago. I've hosted different people, both friends and CouchSurfers I've just met, some of whom I was extremely happy to have around. I went to swim nearly everyday and believe it did good to my general health even though there were some things to counter-balance that good :) I played a lot of guitar on the beach. I did manage to push forward on Colnect and January 2014 has shown a considerable surge in traffic. I did feel well having my own place and preparing my own food mostly.
Colnect is kicking STRONG!


That's it, now a short tour of Mexico and then towards London.
Me, taken by Judy



Caguama might mean a turtle, but it's more importantly a large beer bottle (between 940ml and 1200ml most often)

Eating and playing guitar with friends

Smugness does occur

So do partial haircuts



Funky shape of airloom tomatoes

Jaw harp I got in Cambodia

Water bottle truck selling filtered water. Scams apparantly abound with these as well, most often trying to replace a plastic bottle in good condition to a crappy one. The bottle's deposit is 50 peso whereas the water itself 11-13 peso so guess where the money's at :)

Pochutla hospital is NOT recommended. This chart shows alleged maximum waiting times for patients who ask for medical attention. We've waiting nearly 3 hours and got a friendly but not very professional assistance.

To those unfamiliar with the spiritual side of "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the OTHER side" - here's one who has reached nirvana



Mazunte can surely make anyone go bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment