Friday, March 30, 2012

No Osho For You

Perhaps not a big Osho fan, I have visited the Desert Ashram in Israel quite a few times, mostly for festivals. Some of the meditations (and meditation is quite a free term for those of you who still think it means only sitting in lotus position and making odd sounds) that are common there are quite interesting and I found them to be good experiences. Naturally, as I found myself in Pune, very much known for the most (in)famous Osho Ashram (some say "Cashram") in the world, I wanted to pay a visit. By paying a visit I meant the 10 rupee tour that was published on some travel guides. Unfortunately they've stopped the tour and now only allow entrance with photo ID, HIV test and 1000 rupees fee. Yes, friends, spirituality doesn't come cheap and if you wish to attain enlightenment there you should open your heart, soul and wallet. The HIV test is IMHO a marketing stunt making people think that there are still many orgies going on there. The place was famous for celebrities and orgies back in the days. It's not like that anymore, at least according to all the people I've met that stayed there for a while. AIDS is anyway just one of a myriad of STDs the world has to offer and making an HIV test can only attest to you not having HIV 3 months ago. So yes, you can still have HIV and other STDs and you'd be permitted in. But don't forget the 1000 rupees for your daily pass!



I did want to have a picture commemorating me standing next to the gates of spiritual advancement and not taking the step inside. The photographer, Michel, insisted that I take a picture next to one of the red-robe people. Oh yes, the Ashram has a strict uniform dress code and the red robes identify the Oshovites there and all around. No red -> No moksha!

No comments:

Post a Comment